Monday, October 09, 2006

Couldn't Think of a Good Title Today

There is a "syndrome" for everything nowadays. One of the newest ones is the Restless Leg Syndrome. And guess what! I have it! That's right. Particularly in my right leg. I've always had some weird thing with my legs where I feel like I need to run a marathon, only I'm in bed, it's midnight, and the rest of me is paralyzed with exhaustion from the day. Running a marathon is therefore out of the question. In the past, I would get it in both legs after taking a Benadryl, Nyquil, or any other night time medicine with a sleeping agent in it. My legs would kick around under the covers and it would drive me crazy and ultimately, keep me up way past the time I wanted to go to sleep. Now, I'm lucky enough to get it throughout the day due to my pregnancy. It often feels like I have the biggest mosquito bite deep in my muscle tissue. I obviously can't scratch that, so I have to punch it. I punch my right hip and upper thigh so many times just to try to get some relief. I can't stand it. I'm not just giving it a friendly tap. I usually pull my fist up and drive it down hard into the area that is bothering me. It does make it feel better, but I can imagine what it's going to look like. I also have to massage my thigh like crazy. It feels like an unbearable unscratchable itch. Luckily, there is a drug out there for poor souls like me. However, I would rather deal with my restless legs than get drowsiness, migrane headache, night sweats, blurred vision, stomach pain followed by possible bloody diarrhea, back pain, blood clots, heart problems, and of course death. You know, the things they disclose before they give you that miracle pill to take away this mild inconvenient "syndrome".

No comments: