Friday, December 08, 2006

My Ears Are Bleeding Tinsel

I've been forcing the people at my office to be in the spirit of Xmas whether they want to or not. We have a radio in our office and I have been bringing in some of my Xmas CDs. Some are great, some are listen-able, and the rest are just crap. However, crap or not, it warrants a listening from the people in my office. Well, all of us, including myself, started to get sick of the same music on repeat for the past two weeks so we shifted to one of the Holiday radio stations. While listening, I was reminded of a song that I think completely blows and confuses the shit out of me. That would be "Do They Know It's Christmas Time" by Band Aid. WHORE-ABLE song. Sorry to those that think it is what Xmas is all about, but I beg to differ. Let me share some of the lovely lyrics from the song:

There's a world outside your window,
and it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing
is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring there
are the clanging chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them
instead of you

Hmmm, doesn't that fill your heart with Christmas joy?

And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life(Oooh)
Where nothing ever grows
No rain or rivers flow
Do they know it's Christmastime at all?

Okay, this one has always bothered me. No shit there's no snow in Africa. If I recall the video of this song, they are filming Ethiopia. No snow...EVER. I don't want to sound cold or callus, but I'd move if where I lived nothing ever grows and no rain or rivers ever flowed. By the way, perhaps they don't know it's Christmastime, because they aren't Christian and therefore do not celebrate Christmas. Did the writers of the song even think about that?

Anyway, this song has always got on my nerves. The people who wrote the song, wrote it because they were sick of the idea of people starving in Africa while the people in Europe were getting Fat. Okay, I get that but I love Xmas. I love getting together with my families and spending time together. I don't want to feel like crap about being happy. That song usually gets turned off whenever I hear it. I just think it sucks, but that's just me. I like a good "Home For the Holidays," "Let It Snow!" and even some of the more religious ones like "O Holy Night" which is one of my favorites. Some people are going to hate this entry, but I had to put it out there, so there it is.

1 comment:

Fuzion Mobile said...

Yeah that song is very uplifting. Kinda makes me hungry though.