Monday, February 18, 2008

Ode to My Electric Blanket

I am always cold. Always. It's called poor circulation. My daughter has it, too. Just feel her hands, feet, and nose. They are the same temperature as mine. Frozen. When it is time to get into bed, I tend to dread it. Mike likes to keep the house about 5 degrees lower than I like it. It's not to save money or energy for the environment, it's just that he is always hot. Mike's body temperature is surface-of-the-sun, hot. When I touch his skin, I can hear a sizzling sound like bacon on a skillet. One night, I remembered that I had an electric blanket stashed in my closet. I grabbed it and decided to throw it on my bed and set it to HIGH. After preparing for the evening, I got into bed and LOVED it. I usually have to wear sweatpants, a heavy shirt, thick socks and toss an extra blanket on my side of the bed in order to tolerate the evening. This was different. This was wonderful. This was going to change the way I slept during the winter forever. Even if it is 19 degrees outside, Mike likes to keep the window open and the fan turned on to keep the air "circulating". Now I can go to bed without having to wear the sweats, socks, and heavy shirt. Go ahead and leave the window wide open and the fan blowing, because my blanket will protect me and keep me warm and content. Thank you electricity.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He would be sleeping in another room in my house! Electric blanket or not!

Unknown said...

He would be sleeping in another room in my house! Electric blanket or not!