Tuesday, November 04, 2008

History in the Making

I donated money. I stood in line for over 2 hours in the cold, wind, and rain to caucus. I educated friends and family on what I have learned about the current politics. I have sent out emails and I have posted bulletins on MySpace. I have called a complete stranger on the phone and discussed what we can do as democrats to get the word out. I have done my part as an American citizen to help put the man that I wanted into office. Today, November 4th, 2008, I was alive to witness the first African American man in our Nation's history win the 2008 Presidential election. I watched a GREAT man, an inspiring man, a true leader WIN the 2008 Presidential election. I feel nothing but pride for our Country. My daughter is around to see something that is so important, and I love that.

While it has felt like our country has gotten cynical and more and more divided over time in the past 8 years, I truly feel this is a man who can get us on the right track. I feel that this man is going to help all of us become the next "Greatest Generation!" I believe it and I know it. I mailed in my ballot over the weekend and got butterflies when I dropped it off at the post office. I knew what I had done felt important and that maybe, this time, my voice would be heard. Mine was, along with millions of others. I watched the TV show people from all over the US cheering, crying, laughing, hugging, and expressing pure joy over this important victory. I watched people from other countries jump around and shouting with excitement of what our country just achieved. I heard a commentator on CNN say, "With all of our Country's downfalls, we have still been able to show the world how great our nation truly is tonight." Out of ALL the European based countries, ours is the first to elect a black man. THAT is American. This man has blood of a white mother and a Kenyan father running through his veins. THAT is American. This man has lived abroad and experienced different cultures and even diversities in our country. THAT is American. His name is not John, Robert, George, Ronald, or Jimmy...It's Barack Obama. It doesn't get any more American than that!

Never in my life, have I ever felt so passionate about who was to become our next president. Never. I will sleep well tonight knowing that the right man is heading for the White House and he is ready to lead our nation back into greatness where we all want to be and know we can get back to. I am overjoyed that my next president is Barack Obama.

Yes...we...can...

No comments: